Posted on behalf of Javier Navarro, Software Engineer
There are different reasons to be in Cleveland for the winter. For instance, you can watch a Cavaliers or Browns game. However, if you are part of the IT Healthcare world, the can’t miss event occurs every January. On January 23rd, I attended the IHE North America Connectathon as part of the Summit Healthcare team. This is Summit Healthcare’s third year of participation showcasing Summit Exchange. It has been a unique experience to meet companies from all around the world in a cooperative effort to make security and healthcare protocols work. There is an increasing need for compliance in healthcare as 99.99% of the standards are defined. The remaining 0.01% changes from vendor to vendor and this is what makes integration really complex. Rather than finding issues in a hospital environment, the connectathon allows testing against many different vendors in real world scenarios. The good news for Summit is that after one week of hard work, Summit Exchange has successfully passed all of the profiles that we intended to test. This is a total of 87 tests against 19 different vendors.
I have personally learned a lot by attending this event. For instance, I have learned in-depth about TLS secure communication and about different vendor perspectives regarding FHIR adoption. More importantly though, I have acquired the knowledge about what things can make other systems fail when establishing a bidirectional communication according to the IHE standards. I am pretty sure that this knowledge is going to be useful for Summit and our software in the future. I am very much looking forward to attending next year and hope the Cavaliers win the game next time. This makes the Connectathon week a 100% success!
To learn more about Summit Exchange, or any other Summit Healthcare products, visit www.summit-healthcare.com